Need help now?
Do you have an urgent mental health need and need to talk to someone now? Please call 608-265-5600 (select option 9) to reach our 24-hour mental health crisis services, available 365 days a year.
Students may also come to UHS anytime Monday through Friday between 9am and 4pm to meet face-to-face with a counselor (be sure to tell our reception staff that you need to talk with someone immediately).
How to Get Started
Everyone who comes to UHS Counseling and Consultation Services (C&CS) starts with a drop-in, "Access" consultation to help us determine how best to assist you.
An Access consultation is the first stop for:
- mental health counseling services
- psychiatric services (including transfer of psychiatric prescriptions
- wellness services
During this time, you'll complete a brief form, followed by a brief consultation with a counselor who will listen to your concerns and discuss what resources might be most appropriate for you, whether at UHS or elsewhere in the community.
- Students should come to the reception desk of the UHS counseling service (333 East Campus Mall, 7th floor) any time between 9 am and 4 pm, Monday through Friday. The earlier in the day the better.
- Budget about 30 minutes for your initial consultation if there is no wait: five minutes to complete your paperwork and 10 to 15 minutes for talking with a counselor. If there are students ahead of you and you are unable to wait, we will ask that you return later that day.
- Still have questions about getting started? Please call us at 608-265-5600 (option 2) during business hours and let the receptionist know you would like to talk with someone about our services.
- To schedule follow-up appointments call 608-265-5600 (select option 2) during business hours. (You must schedule this appointment by phone; it is not available online through MyUHS.)
- There is no charge to UW-Madison students for these services.