Medical Assistant 2
Need health insurance?
Learn about SHIP.
Do students need health insurance?
Yes. Unexpected accidents and illnesses can happen and students without comprehensive insurance are more likely to drop out of school for financial or health-related reasons.
Is UHS the same as health insurance?
No. All enrolled students are eligible for the medical and mental health services available at University Health Services (UHS), but UHS is not a substitute for health insurance. UHS is not open evenings and weekends and does not provide emergency care, hospitalization, or specialty care for complex problems.
I have health insurance. Is that enough?
Even if you have health insurance, you need to be aware of the following:
- Employer plans (belonging to your parents or family members) often limit coverage to emergency room care while a student is out of the plan area. If you are from outside the Madison area, check with your insurance plan to see what is covered and not covered in the Madison area.
- Some insurance plans have narrow provider networks, even in hometowns. It can be difficult for plan members to access key services such as mental health, especially if you are out of network.
- Many plans require members to pay a large portion of their medical costs. High deductibles, co-payments, and co-insurance can make members reluctant, or unable to seek medical attention when they need it.
Five reasons to choose the UW-Madison
Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP)
- SHIP is designed specifically for UW–Madison students. Meeting the needs of our students is our motivation—not profit.
- UHS provides primary and preventive care on campus, keeping costs as low as possible.
- SHIP travels with you. SHIP members are protected by a nationwide network of hospitals, clinics, and specialized medical services.
- SHIP has low member cost-sharing, with an in-network deductible of $600.
- Value. For many students, SHIP offers “gold +” level coverage at a “bronze” price.
Other SHIP benefits include:
- Preventive care, including 100 percent coverage for:
- Meningococcal vaccine
- Travel immunizations
- Annual eye exam
- Prescription drug benefit (including specialty medications)
- Available coverage for spouse, domestic partner, and children
- Worldwide assistance
- On-campus customer service team
Click here to view the 2018-2019 domestic student plan benefits and premium rates.
Spring/summer coverage is effective from January 15, 2019.
Enrollments must be received by February 14, 2019.
Registered students can enroll online, in the SHIP office, by telephone, or by mail.
Parents can enroll their registered student in the SHIP office, by telephone, or by mail.