Any UW-Madison student is eligible to use Survivor Services and our Women’s Health Clinic
Need health insurance? Not sure? Read more about SHIP
Who needs health insurance?
EVERYONE! Unfortunately, unexpected accidents and illnesses do occur and students without comprehensive insurance are more likely to drop out of school for financial or health-related reasons.
What about University Health Services?
All enrolled students are eligible for the medical and counseling care available at University Health Services, but UHS is not a substitute for health insurance. UHS is not open evenings and weekends and does not provide emergency care, hospitalization, or specialty care for complex problems.
I already have health insurance. How can I tell if it is good enough?
Even if you already have health insurance, you need to be aware of the following:
- Employer plans often limit coverage to emergency room care while you are out of the plan area, and you may have to take time off school to return to your hometown for treatment.
- Even in their home area, some plans have increasingly narrow provider networks. As a result it can be difficult for enrollees to access key services such as mental health.
- Many plans require enrollees to pay a large portion of their medical costs. High deductibles, copayments, and coinsurance can make enrollees reluctant, or unable to seek medical attention when they need it.
Five reasons to choose the UW-Madison Student Health Insurance Plan
- SHIP is designed specifically for UW–Madison students. Meeting the needs of our students is our motivation—not profit.
- UHS provides primary and preventive care on campus, keeping costs as low as possible.
- SHIP travels with you. SHIP members are protected by a nationwide network of hospitals, clinics, and specialized medical services.
- SHIP has low member cost-sharing, with an in-network deductible of $600.
- Value. For many students, SHIP offers “Gold +” level coverage at a “Bronze” price.
Other SHIP benefits include:
- Preventive care, including 100% coverage for:
- Meningococcal vaccine
- Travel immunizations
- Annual eye exam
- Prescription drug benefit (including specialty medications)
- Available coverage for spouse, domestic partner, and children
- Worldwide assistance
- On-campus customer service team
- And much more!
Fall coverage is effective from August 15, 2019 and enrollments must be received by September 14, 2019.
Registered students can enroll online, in the SHIP office, by telephone, or by mail.
Parents can enroll their registered student in the SHIP office, by telephone, or by mail.