Your guide to the summer’s most unwanted pesky pests.
Frequently Asked Health Insurance Questions
Billing & Claims Questions
What is a Deductible?
A Deductible is the amount you must pay annually towards certain categories of medical expenses before insurance benefits begin. This is usually a relatively low amount compared to your overall coverage benefit.
What is a Copayment?
A Copayment is a payment which you make upfront each time you receive certain medical services. When you visit your health care provider, you pay the copayment to the provider, and the plan covers the remaining expenses, subject to any deductible or coinsurance.
What is Coinsurance?
Coinsurance is the percentage of your medical expenses for which you are responsible after any applicable Copayments or Deductible has been satisfied. For example, if a SHIP Domestic student receives outpatient professional services at an “In-Network” provider for the first time, the student would be responsible for meeting the annual Deductible and 20% of the remaining charges. SHIP would cover the remaining 80% up to the plan maximum benefit.
What are Out-of-Pocket expenses?
Out-of-pocket expenses are the portion of medical expenses that you are responsible for. Typically this refers to the combined total of any Deductible and Coinsurance costs for which you are responsible. The Out-of-Pocket maximum is the maximum amount you are responsible for annually. In the case of SHIP, Copayments and non-covered services do not apply towards the Out-of-Pocket expenses.
I have a question regarding a SHIP claim. What should I do?
Claims typically take up to 6 weeks to process. Case specific claims questions should be directed to the SHIP claims administrator, Consolidated Health Plans, at 1-877-657-5031. You can also call the SHIP office at 608-265-5232 if you have any issues or concerns and we can contact Consolidated Health Plans on your behalf.
What do I do if I receive a bill for a medical visit?
When you present your SHIP membership card to a provider, they should submit itemized medical bills to the address on the back of the card. Every bill includes universal coding to designate the procedure, diagnosis, and provider. When receiving services at a hospital, two bills are often generated. One is for the hospital charges, use of the facility, equipment and supplies, and a second is for the physician’s charges. Since it typically takes up to 6 weeks to process a claim, you may receive a bill or bills from the provider first. Do not pay any provider bill (except for any copayment) unless you have already received an Explanation of Benefits from the SHIP claims administrator, Consolidated Health Plans. If you do receive any bills for any medical services, you can bring the documentation to the SHIP office. We will then fax the bills to Consolidated Health Plans for determination of patient responsibility and benefits coverage.
What is an Explanation of Benefits?
Once a claim has been reviewed and processed, the SHIP claims administrator, Consolidated Health Plans, will send you an Explanation of Benefits showing what the plan has covered, what discounts have been applied, and what your remaining financial responsibility (if any) is. This is not a bill, so do not send any balance due to Consolidated Health Plans. The provider will receive a separate notification from Consolidated Health Plans and should send you a revised bill for any remaining amount due. Please click Guide to Understanding the Explanation of Benefits [PDF] for additional information.
Who do I contact if I have additional SHIP questions?
SHIP Office (9 am to 5 pm, Mon – Fri) | University Health Services
333 East Campus Mall | 7th floor | Madison
Phone: 608-265-5232 | Fax: 608-265-5668