Call for Help

Emergency Rooms & Urgent Care

Call 911 for medical emergencies

If you live in university residence halls, contact your house fellow or peer-learning partner (available 24/7).

After-hours nurse advice line

608-265-5600 (option 1)

Is this an emergency?

If your condition is not serious enough to call an ambulance, find a friend who can drive you or arrange for public transportation. If you live in university residence halls,  contact your Residence Life staff if you have questions or need additional assistance.  

UHS does not cover hospital inpatient, emergency room, or immediate care treatment provided outside our clinic. Emergency room and hospitalization charges are not covered by student segregated fees. We recommend that students have hospitalization insurance that includes emergency room coverage, such as the UW–Madison Student Health Insurance Plan.

Help following a sexual assault

Help is available. Find resources.

24-hour mental health crisis services

Call 608-265-5600 (option 9). Learn more

Choosing between an emergency room and an urgent care facility

Emergency rooms

Emergency rooms are specifically designed to manage life-threatening illnesses and injuries including:

  • chest pain
  • shortness of breath
  • loss of consciousness
  • drug overdose
  • acute alcohol intoxication
  • gunshot or knife wounds
  • fractures
  • seizures
  • accidents such as falls or involving motor vehicles
  • eye injuries
  • severe lacerations
  • high fever (greater than 101°F) with a severe headache and a stiff neck

Urgent care facilities

Urgent care facilities provide evening and weekend health care for acute problems that are NOT life-threatening. Examples of illnesses and injuries managed urgent care facilities include:

  • rashes
  • upper respiratory infections
  • sore throats
  • earaches
  • headaches
  • abrasions
  • lacerations
  • flu
  • back pain
  • sprains
  • minor fractures

If you cannot decide whether you require immediate medical care, call UHS at 608-265-5600 (option 1).