Who needs health insurance?
Everyone! Unfortunately, unexpected accidents and illnesses happen and students without comprehensive insurance are more likely to drop out of school for financial or health-related reasons.
What about University Health Services?
All enrolled students are eligible for the medical and counseling care available at University Health Services (UHS), but UHS is not a substitute for health insurance. UHS is not open evenings and weekends and does not provide emergency care, hospitalization, or specialty care for complex problems.
I already have health insurance. How can I tell if it is good enough?
Even if you already have health insurance, you need to be aware of the following:
- Employer plans often limit coverage to emergency room care while you are out of the plan area, and you may have to take time off school to return to your hometown for treatment.
- Even in their home area, some plans have increasingly narrow provider networks. As a result it can be difficult for enrollees to access key services such as mental health.
- Many plans require enrollees to pay a large portion of their medical costs. High deductibles, copayments, and coinsurance can make enrollees reluctant, or unable to seek medical attention when they need it.
Five reasons to choose the UW-Madison Student Health Insurance Plan
- SHIP is designed specifically for UW–Madison students.
- UHS provides primary and preventive care on campus, keeping costs as low as possible.
- SHIP travels with you. SHIP members are protected by nationwide networks of hospitals, clinics, and specialized medical services.
- SHIP has low member cost-sharing, with network deductibles starting from $300.
- Value. Meeting the needs of our students is our motivation—not profit.
Other SHIP benefits:
- Preventive care, including annual eye exam
- Prescription drug benefit (including specialty medications)
- Available coverage for spouse, domestic partner, and children
- Worldwide assistance
- On-campus customer service team
- And much more!
Fall coverage is effective from August 15, 2023.
Enrollments must be received by September 14, 2023.
Registered students can enroll online, in the SHIP office, by telephone, or by mail.
Parents can enroll their registered student in the SHIP office, by telephone, or by mail.