UHS rolls out new bystander program to help prevent sexual assault and dating violence
It can be challenging to balance academic, work, and social responsibilities with nutritious meals, but a healthy diet fuels the mind and body for both personal and academic success.
UHS nutritionists can help with weight management, cholesterol or blood pressure control, vegetarianism, and general nutrition questions. Initial visits are 45 minutes and may include:
- developing personalized strategies for changing habits
- disease management or prevention
- development of meal plans
- healthy cooking techniques
- routine exercise
Healthy Eating Tips
- Eat breakfast daily, and snack in between meals to keep from getting too hungry.
- Eat meals and snacks from plates and bowls rather than right out of the bag to more easily monitor portion sizes. Try to eat sitting down, and avoid multitasking when eating.
- Incorporate fruits or vegetables into each meal and snack to meet the recommended five daily servings.
- Eat a variety of foods. Balanced diets include whole grains, proteins, fruits, vegetables, and healthy oils and fats. Having occasional treats may also help maintain healthy patterns without being too rigid.
- Monitor your liquid intake. Soda, sweetened coffee and tea, juice, and alcoholic drinks have large amounts of sugar.
- Cook your own meals. Home cooked meals are usually more nutritious and less expensive than take out options. Meal planning and food preparation ahead of time can make it easier to incorporate healthy lifestyle habits into a busy college schedule.
- Find healthy options on and off campus. Check out the nutrition information of food served in campus dining halls, and look for roasted, grilled, or steamed options when eating out.
- Do what is best for you. Everyone has different dietary and nutritional needs. Choices that are healthy for one person may not be for another. Consult a health care provider to determine which lifestyle choices best suit your needs.
Healthy Fitness Tips
- Pick enjoyable fitness activities. It is easier to stick to a plan when it is fun and suits your lifestyle.
- Set goals that are realistic, attainable, and require a little determination.
- Working out with a friend can make it more enjoyable. Fitness buddies can also help hold you accountable to your goals.
- Take a balanced approach to fitness. Changing or modifying lifestyle patterns requires patience and balance. Over exertion and extreme exercise can potentially be dangerous.
- Do what is best for you. There are many different ways to be active and lead a balanced lifestyle. Health care providers can help determine options that best suit your needs.