Need health insurance? Not sure?
Q: Who needs health insurance?
A: Everyone. Unexpected accidents and illnesses occur and students without comprehensive insurance are more likely to drop out of school for financial or health-related reasons.
Q: Are students covered by University Health Services?
A: All enrolled students are eligible for the medical care and mental health counseling at University Health Services, but UHS is not a substitute for health insurance. UHS is not open evenings and weekends, and does not provide emergency care, hospitalization, or specialty care such as dermatology, and surgery.
Q: I already have health insurance. How can I tell if it’s enough?
A: Even if you have health insurance, you should be aware of the following:
- Employer plans often limit coverage to emergency room care while you are out of the plan area, and you may have to take time off school to return to your hometown for treatment.
- Even in their home area, some plans have increasingly narrow provider networks. As a result, it can be difficult for enrollees to access key services such as mental health care.
- Many plans require enrollees to pay a large portion of their medical costs. High deductibles, copayments, and coinsurance can make enrollees reluctant, or unable to seek medical attention when they need it.
Five reasons to choose the UW-Madison
Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP)
- SHIP is designed specifically for UW–Madison students. We are motivated to meet the needs of our students, not by profit.
- UHS provides primary and preventive care on campus, keeping costs as low as possible.
- SHIP travels with you. SHIP members are protected by a nationwide network of hospitals, clinics, and specialized medical services.
- SHIP has low member cost-sharing, with an in-network deductible of $600.
- Value. For many students, SHIP offers “gold+” level coverage at a “bronze” price.
Other SHIP benefits include:
- Preventive care, including 100% coverage for:
- Meningococcal vaccine
- Travel immunizations
- Annual eye exam
- Prescription drug benefit (including specialty medications)
- Available coverage for spouse, domestic partner, and children
- Worldwide assistance
- On-campus customer service team
Spring/summer coverage is effective starting January 15, 2020. Enrollment closes February 14, 2020.
Registered UW-Madison students can enroll online, in the SHIP office, by telephone, or by mail.
Parents can enroll their registered student in the SHIP office, or by telephone.