Community starts here.
Group counseling is an opportunity to connect with others in a safe, confidential and supportive space. Groups allow students to share their experiences with others who can understand and relate; learn new perspectives; and experiment with new ideas, behaviors, and ways of being or interacting. Through group engagement, students develop insights and skills to work through challenges and improve their quality of life.
How to join a group
If you are interested in joining a group, and do not wish to consider any other services, contact the Mental Health Services at 608-265-5600 (option 2). Tell our staff about the group you are interested in, including the day and time, and that you would like to be scheduled for a pre-group orientation (PGO).
If you are interested in joining a group in addition to other services, log in to your MyUHS account to schedule an Access Appointment or call Mental Health Services at 608-265-5600 (option 2). During your Access Appointment, let the counselor know that you’re interested in joining a group.
Group Counseling Schedule
Benefits of group counseling
- Increase self-awareness and understanding of others
- Connect with others who have similar problems and experiences
- Decrease isolation and loneliness
- Receive multiple perspectives on your concerns
- Enhance the quality of relationships
- Experience meaningful and authentic connections with others
- Develop new, healthier ways of relating to others
- Identifying, experiencing and expressing feelings with greater ease
- Increase confidence and self-esteem
- Increase ability to give and receive honest feedback
- Internalize lessons learned by helping others in the group
An effective strategy
Group counseling is one of the most effective strategies to address most issues experienced by students, such as:
- Discomfort in social situations
- Challenges in relationships
- Loneliness and isolation
- Low self-esteem and confidence
- Coping with difficult emotions
- Academic stressors
- Substance use
- Eating concerns