In February 2019, Vice Chancellor Lori Reesor and former Provost Sarah Mangelsdorf commissioned a Mental Health Task Force to address concerns from students, faculty, and staff about the wellbeing of University of Wisconsin-Madison students.
The task force focused on a review of current mental health resources and services and provided a report to Chancellor Blank. The report was completed in May and the task force will reconvene this semester. Below are some key updates from the report. The full report can be viewed here.
- A new organizational structure in Student Affairs allows Associate Vice Chancellor Jake Baggott to oversee University Health Services (UHS) and University Recreation & Wellbeing. This change will allow for increased efficiencies and collaboration between these two units to serve students.
- The Associated Students of Madison increased their financial support for UHS, which allowed 10 new mental health providers to be hired with office space at UHS.
- Several new providers are from underrepresented identities. There are providers who can provide services in Mandarin and Spanish.
- Mental Health Services is piloting evening hours on Mondays and
Tuesdays until 7 pm.
- Plans are being developed to expand the UHS Behavioral Health program in Medical Services, broadening access to mental health support for students.
“I appreciate the work of the task force who are committed to supporting our students through comprehensive mental health services and wellbeing programs,” says Dr. Reesor. “I also want to recognize the valuable work being done by Dr. Jim Keck, Associate Dean of Basic Sciences, who is chairing a group focused on mental health needs and services for graduate students, professional students, and post-docs. This group is working on analyzing gaps in support for graduate students and identifying solutions to fill these gaps.”
Connecting with Mental Health Services starts with an Access Appointment. To schedule an Access Appointment phone screening call the MHS reception desk at 608.265.5600 (option 2) or log on to MyUHS for 24-hour web appointment booking.